This wet sock treatment is used to stimulate the immune system and increase blood circulation. It works by increasing blood flow to the feet which helps reduce blood flow and congestion to the upper respiratory system. This treatment is an old, effective, natural remedy and can be used as a replacement for fever reducing medications. Children can benefit from this as well as adults. It is best to use this wet sock treatment on the first day of the illness and to do it for a few nights in a row for maximum effectiveness.
Supplies You Will Need:
- 1 pair of very thin cotton socks
- 1 pair of wool socks
- 1 bowl of ice water
- 1 warm bath or 1 bowl of very warm water (large enough to soak feet)
- Take a warm bath for 5-10 minutes. Warming the feet first is very important for the effectiveness of the treatment. Wet sock treatment can be harmful if your feet are not warmed. Instead of a bath you may also soak your child’s feet in a bowl of very warm water (make the water temperature as warm as possible without burning your child, of course). Once the feet have been warmed for 10 minutes do the next step.
- Dry off feet (and body if a bath was taken) with a dry towel.
- Soak the pair of thin socks in the bowl of ice water. When the socks are completely wet, remove them from the water and wring them out thoroughly.
- Place ice-cold wet socks on feet. Then cover the wet socks with the thick (dry) wool socks. Put on pajamas and go directly to bed. Make sure your child gets under the covers and avoids getting chilled.
- Wear the socks overnight. During the night, your child might wake up with wet pajamas from sweating. If so, have your child change into dry pajamas, but leave on the socks. You will find that the wet cotton socks will be dry in the morning.